Cidade do Sol: Week 7

Monday, March 9, 2015

Glad to hear that everyone´s doing well! This week the weather has been nice for a change. It´s rained almost every day this week and has been pretty cloudy. My companion stayed for another transfer and no one in our house of 4 was moved. He was really surprised when he stayed because our mission president almost never leaves people in one area for more than 4 transfers. Our house is a lot of fun though. We play chess sometimes and other games. We have also been making lots of brownies lately because we found boxes of brownie mix in one of the supermarkets.


I like being in this ward a lot because the leadership is young, motivated, and energetic. Elder Wilson and I tried to find a lot of new people to teach this week. Most of the contacting we do is just with people walking on the streets, but this week we decided to knock on a couple of doors. The first two that we tried ended up going really well, so we might start doing that some more! We had a good lesson of the restoration with one of the families that we found, but then they ended up not wanting to go to church, so I don´t know if they have much potential. But I´m excited to keep working hard in these next few weeks and finding lots of new people.


To answer your questions, Dad:
I haven´t yet heard a returned missionary in sacrament meeting. Once I did go to one homecoming party during the week, but I was transferred before sunday. In this ward there are currently 4 missionaries serving in the field- 2 in Brazil and 2 in south american countries. I have met very few members here that have been to the US. I think most people that have the means to travel there just go there to live. I´ve met several people that have friends or family that live in Ogden/Layton utah area. I´ve heard a ward choir sing but only at a stake conference. It´s rare to see special musical numbers in sacrament meeting. There was a primary christmas program in my last area though.


In this area I have really liked attending ward council. We have a brief ward council meeting every sunday shortly after sacrament meeting. This week I had an idea come to me to work with the ward council that felt like a prompting from the spirit. Recently, the mission president gave us a form to follow up with all of our recent converts. We are instructed to carry it around with us and to fill it out for recent converts within the last year. I had the idea to fill out a form for every organization with a list of the converts in their group. Sometimes it happens that someone is baptized and the leader of their organization doesn´t even know about it, and then the person stops going to church. It ended up fitting in well with the ward council meeting and with the new bishop´s vision. We gave out a filled-out sheet to every organization leader and I think it will help them out in their callings. I´ll send you a copy of the form that we use.


Wow, general conference is coming up soon and so is the next Skype call. That´s pretty exciting for me.


Have a great week!


Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment